What Is Mediation?
Mediation gives all parties a chance to work together to develop a mutually agreeable resolution. In the mediation process, participants maintain control over any outcome that is reached. The mediators are present to promote an atmosphere where reaching agreement is possible. During mediation, participants each have the opportunity to voice concerns.
The mediation process is built on self-determined decision-making which respects the rights of all involved. Mediation is a confidential and voluntary process.
Benefits of Mediation for the Participants
• Increases your sense of personal power to resolve disputes.
• Provides you with a workable solution.
• Is more cost effective than the standard legal process.
• Allows you to schedule the session according to your calendar needs.
• Provides quality service in less time than the standard legal process.
Benefits of Mediation for the Community
• Improves the compliance rate compared to compliance with court orders.
• Increases community capacity for resolving disputes.
• Reduces load on legal system.
We have a group of committed volunteers who provide all our mediation services. Each mediator has received 30 hours of general mediation skills training and meets the requirements for qualification under Minnesota Supreme Court Rule 114 for qualified neutrals. Our mediators are also required to take 8 hours of continuing education per year to remain active as a mediator with CRC.
Our mediators come from a variety of social, educational, economic, cultural, ethnic, racial, and religious backgrounds. We believe our mediators should reflect the community we serve.
Mediators are neutrals. They do not side with a person, an issue, a proposed solution or declare an outcome as right or wrong, better or worse. As neutrals, mediators ask questions and guide people through the steps in the mediation process and help them write up their decisions and agreements.
Initiating a Mediation
If you are in a conflict and are interested in mediation services, call us at 612-822-9883.